CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 17, 2008

Keep on laughin.....

So this week I'm gonna keep up with the laughing theme. I think we can all use it. I had an AWESOME weekend. My precious niece came down and spent some time with me. We went shopping and had dinner - just the 2 of us - and it was a great day. We talked and talked and laughed ALOT!! It makes me so happy that in her busy life - with work, college and boys - she can make time to come hang out with her almost 40 auntie!! I love you Rach!!!

So I've been looking at the Word with this idea of laughter a lot this past week and the Lord has been faithful to show me some things that are just hysterical - or at least to me they are. Don't get me wrong. I don't for one second want to take away from the reverence of the Word of God or to dishonor it's holiness - or that of the Father, but He did create the platypus didn't He? Have you looked at that animal lately? How about a sloth? Don't even try to tell me He doesn't have a sense of humor!!

Anyway, I was reading in 1 Sam about Eli. Eli, bless his heart, was basically a pretty good guy, but his boys, well that's a different story. They were corrupt with a Capital C!! Stealing, taking bribes, mishandling holy things, just bad news. And Eli, well he seemed to not notice - or at least not to do anything about it. So his boys decide to attack the Philistines and they know their history well enough to know that if they want the Lord to be with them they need to take the Ark of the Covenant along on this adventure. (THIS is not the funny part!!!) So they take it and the Lord decides it's time to fulfill the little promise He made to Eli that his household would be destroyed. The sons die in battle but even worse, the Ark gets captured by the Philistine army. Again, NOT the funny part.

Ok, now this is where I have to admit I got a little chuckle. A messenger comes back to drop the bomb on Eli that his sons have been killed and, oh yeah, the Ark of the Covenant had been captured too. Here's where it hit me. "When he mentioned the ark of God, Eli fell backward off his chair by the side of the gate. His neck was broken and he died, for he was an old man AND HEAVY." 1 Sam 4:18 (emp mine, of course) Now admit it. Would you want the fact that you were so fat you fell out your chair and broke your neck recorded in the Word of God for all time?! Come on now, you know you wouldn't!!!! I know I sure wouldn't!! What a way to go out!!! LOL! Sorry, I can't help it.

Now I know that this is not the most theologically challenging post you've ever read. I know that it hasn't likely deepened your walk with the Lord, but I hope it will allow you to lighten up - if only a little - even when it comes to the Word of God. I don't mean that we shouldn't take seriously our Sword but remember Ecc 3 "There is a time for everything; a time to laugh". If God didn't want us to laugh at ourselves now and then why in the world do you think He allowed us to create mirrors?! Take a good long look, girlfriends and LAUGH!! I know I do every time I look! Laugh to keep from crying!! LOL!

Ok, I promise that I'll get past this silliness and get back to some seriousness but I just can't promise when that season will come. Until then, when is the last time you had a good laugh? Share it....(as long as it's not at someone else's expense! ;-) )

1 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Oh girly, I love your sillyness (is that a word??) in Christ!! I too laughed at that part.....oh my word!! Love it!