CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, November 5, 2007

To the test.....

We're doing a church-wide study of the Old Testament and in Sunday school (yes, we still call it Sunday school) yesterday we talked about Abraham's test. You know the story of Abraham taking Isaac to the mountain to sacrifice him to God but then God provides the ram. (Thank you Jesus for being my ram!)

Our teacher asked if we had ever taken a test that we were scared to take. (I, of course said a pregnancy test! haha) There were lots of examples across the room and lots of reasons why we didn't like the tests. However, when we look at Abraham's faith and his track record of being a liar, liar, pants on fire, it's kinda bizarre that God would put him to that BIG of a test. You would think, based on his history, that God may choose a test a bit easier. But that wasn't the plan. God knew how Abraham would handle this test. He already knew the outcome.

It's hard when we're being tested to think that God gave us this test because He knows we can handle it. I mean, when I was pregnant with baby #3, had a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old at home and then taking care of my dying father, plus honoring all my committments at church, I CERTAINLY didn't think I was up to that test. If God were choosing that test based on my track record, I was BOUND to fail. But praise God He knew the outcome. He knew how I'd handle that test. He knew I'd rely on Him for my strength, my comfort and my peace like I never had before. He knew that the test was meant to prepare me for an even BIGGER test in a few years. He knew. He knows.

I don't know about you, but I am learning to enjoy the freedom of my servanthood more and more each day! So many people think that following Christ is all about giving up. All about losing. For a lot of my life, I'll be honest with you, I thought the same thing. But thank God, He has been faithful and patient with me and has been showing me sweet release as I draw nearer and nearer to Him.

Freedom in surrender. That's the bottom line. That's the answer to the test. Whatever tests are in my future, I pray that I will remember the answer. I will remember to surrender. I pray the same for you...

1 comments:

Lucy said...

I think lots of times God lets us "take the test" to prove to US that we're not who we used to be, to show US that who we are in Him is really enough.

This is a really good post, Valarie. Love you!!!